SOMERSET Waste Partnership has issued a safety warning after a crew member collecting household waste was splashed with a hazardous liquid left in a rubbish bin.
Very fortunately, the crew member from contractor SUEZ is safe as the hazardous liquid only ended up on their uniform during the incident.
A SUEZ colleague said: “This is a really lucky near miss that could have been a lot worse had it made contact with eyes or skin.”
The householder concerned is being visited to remind them of the need for safety when putting out waste.
A spokesman for Somerset Waste Partnership said: “Hazardous materials must never be added to rubbish bins or recycling boxes, where they will put others at risk of harm.
“Residents with any hazardous materials should check the instructions, or contact the manufacturer or retailer, to ensure they follow the advice on disposal.
“In many cases, after making those checks, the materials can be taken – with due care – to recycling sites for disposal.”
Among the items and materials that should never be added to rubbish bins or recycling boxes are garden or garage chemicals, paint, fuel, batteries, asbestos, syringes and knives.
Advice on hazardous waste can be found here: somersetwaste.gov.uk/hazardous-waste.